Thursday, July 5, 2012

BROWNIE BOTTOM PUDDING PIE

UPDATE:  Yesterday for our Christmas Eve celebration with our son and his family, I decided to make this pie, but more festive for the occasion.










 
To make it more festive for Christmas, I made the pudding layer using 2 pkgs of Jello's Candy Cane Instant Pudding mix and then crushed some peppermint to sprinkle on the top. 











Perfect ending of the dinner.
















I am always looking for dessert recipes that I can adjust the ingredients to reduce the calories or make them more healthy, such as using whole grains. Brownie Bottom Pudding Pie is a recipe I have had many years that I cut from a magazine. I probably originally made it completely by the recipe. Now I have reduced the calories without reducing the taste. I have written the recipe as it was printed. Feel free to follow it completely.  Below the recipe directions, I have noted the changes that I make now so that I can justify making and enjoying it.



BROWNIE BOTTOM PUDDING PIE

4  squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate 
or
1  pkg. (4oz.)  Baker's German's Sweet Baking Chocolate
1/4  cup  (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
3/4  cup sugar
2  eggs, slightly beaten
1  tsp. vanilla
1/2  cup flour
1/2  cup chopped nuts (optional)
2  1/2  cups cold milk
2  pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-o Chocolate Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
8 - oz.  carton Cool Whip (thawed)

HEAT  oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for glass pie plate). Spray bottom and sides of a 9 - inch pie pan with cooking spray.
MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in microwavable bowl on high 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, then nuts.  Spread in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool




 



POUR milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 1 minute. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread over cooled brownie pie. 









Top with whipped topping. Garnish with grated Baker's chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 8 servings.

  ****************  PERSONAL NOTES:
I use the German's Sweet Baking Chocolate (just cause I prefer it). I used Land of Lakes Light Butter and substituted truvia blend for the sugar. If you use that or Splenda Blend, use 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. I covered the dish in the microwave when I melted the butter and chocolate because I didn't want the butter to pop and make a mess in my microwave). I then transferred the melted chocolate after I had stirred it til smooth into another dish so it would cool a little faster before I added the eggs. I used whole wheat pastry flour, skim milk, sugar-free chocolate fudge (that's what I had in my pantry) pudding mix, and fat-free Cool Whip. I garnished the top using about 6-8 dark chocolate chips that I carefully grated over the top of the pie.

This is a very impressive dessert to serve with friends because of the layers.  



Let me know if you decide to try this dessert and what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment