Friday, July 6, 2012

"JU JU ing in the WEST BOTTOMS

The first weekend of every month, the West Bottoms District in KC comes alive and is the largest populated area in the whole state of MO.  (No kidding!) In spite of the triple digit temps today, I think there were more people there than we have ever seen.  With plenty of water, Janice and I sat off prepared to see as much as we possibly could, knowing that we would have to skip some places because we have been in them when the outside temp was in the 90s and by the time we got to the 3rd floor, we were regretting it.  I feel really bad for the venders when they are only open one weekend out of the month and that weekend turns out to be the worst one weather-wise in the city. The area has grown so much from one business, Good Ju Ju,(thus the name "Ju Ju ing" to explain the experience) to at least 3 blocks in one direction and 3 or 4 in the other direction.  It has revitalized, if that is what you want to call it, a warehouse district off 12th Street in what they call the West Bottoms.  It is impossible to try to describe this to any one who hasn't experienced it so I just decided to take a lot of pictures today (until my camera battery died) so you could get an idea.  I hope you enjoy them.  If you live in the area, and have never been.  You haven't lived!
   Enjoy my pictures that I took.....












I


























(I have to be careful how  I trim my pictures.  I can really distort people.  Sorry Janice and Jessica.  I'm still learning.)



















































































































This has to be probably the cutest thing we saw all day.  It was so well done and any little girl or yes, even a boy, would have hours of fun playing with it.  It is made from a cabinet if you haven't seen them on Pinterest.
 Did I say it was 104 today?  The only good thing was the humidity was very low.  Hopefully next month it will not be as hot and we will be able to visit more of the shops.  We probably didn't even get in half of them today.  I almost forgot to show you one of my picture.....
Janice was so proud of me.  I had to ask how much it was because there was no price on it.  I told the man in my book, that meant it must be free.  He didn't agree with that.  Anyway he told me $17.50 AND I asked him if he would take $15.  He had to think about it....said, "I have to remember what I paid for it."  Then he said, "OK.  $15." After he walked off to get a price tag to put on it, Janice said, "Good for you.  You usually pay what they are asking."  I don't know what got into me.  Maybe it was the heat.  

You'll have to wait to see what I turn it into.  Anybody know an easy way to get rid of RUST???????

No comments:

Post a Comment