Sunday, July 1, 2012

WHOLE GRAIN GRANOLA BARS

When we were visiting Jeffrey and his family recently in COS (the week before the fire), we drove up to Denver to go to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.  Having three kiddoes who always seem hungry, Sara always goes prepared with snacks to eat during "day trips".  On this day, she brought her homemade granola bars. (I had seen her post but hadn't gotten around to making them. You can see her post here ) She had brought enough for everyone to have one, and everyone ate theirs before going into the museum, but me.  Since I wasn't really hungry, I decided to save mine in my purse and eat it later.  When we finished eating  lunch in the cafe in the museum, I pulled mine out for "dessert".  And dessert it was.  It was so good. (It was ok, I didn't start anything because the kiddoes didn't even notice.)

With everything else that has been going on since we got back home, I finally got around to making them this afternoon.  I made a few changes from her recipe but I don't think she will mind.

WHOLE GRAIN GRANOLA BARS

4   cups old-fashioned oats
1   cup whole wheat pastry flour
2/3   cup Land of Lakes Light Butter, softened
3/4   cup honey
1/3   cup packed brown sugar
1   teaspoon baking soda
1   teaspoon vanilla extract
1   cup Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips
1   cup dried cranberries

     
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray 9  x 13  inch pan with cooking spray.  

Mix all but the last two ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.  Then stir in the chocolate chips and cranberries. (I started with a large spoon and ended up using my hand to make sure the chips and cranberries were mixed up well in the batter.)  Then evenly press the mixture in the pan.

Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.  (After 20 minutes mine were brown around the edge but looked a little soft in the middle.  I sent Sara a text and she told me to let them cool for 20 minutes instead of 10 to make sure the center could harden.)  Cut into bars with a sharp knife.  Cool completely before you remove them from the pan.  Wrap individually.  (Makes 24 bars)

These don't last long enough in their house, for Sara to try to freeze them.  I am going to try though and see how they turn out.  I think they will be fine.  I will wrap them individually with plastic wrap and then put them in a freeze bag.  I will lay the bag flat in the freezer until they freeze so they don't misshape.  Will let you know if this works. UPDATE:  Freezing them worked great.  They are perfect to grab a couple on my way out the door and then Janice and I have a little treat to eat if we get hungry when we are out going to estate sales.  My husband likes taking them when he goes to play golf.

By the way, they taste really good.  (My husband couldn't wait until they had completely cooled to try one and I ate a couple of crumbs.)  I might try adding some coconut next time and who knows what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment