Monday, July 2, 2012

ZUCCHINI MEATLOAF & SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

It has been a busy day and it feels good to sit down.  I worked on my patriotic table runner all morning.  Will be sharing it when I get it finished.  It's looking good so far.  Then after lunch, I had to run to JoAnn's to get some material for the backing for the table runner. While I was washing the backing material, I packed a box and then mailed it to COS that contained Hallie and Sadie's Blue Jean Aprons that I made, some things I got them at a garage sale, and then an additional surprise for Colby.  He sorta gets left out with the sewing.  Although I have made him clothes when he was younger.

For dinner tonight I made Zucchini Meatloaf and Sweet Potato Biscuits. I used my second zucchini from my garden to make the meatloaf.  That is so exciting to say since I didn't get any zucchini from my garden last year.  I have gotten 4 so far this summer.  I hope I get more.  This early heat wave we are in, isn't being enjoyed by my flowers and plants.  When I mixed up the meat loaf today, I decided I would make two mini loaves --  cook one and freeze one to cook on another day.  Here is the recipe as I found it from Pillsbury.com.  I will add a note at the bottom of how I changed it.


ZUCCHINI MEAT LOAF

               Ingredients:

                   Meat Loaf:

2     eggs, slightly beaten
2     cups shredded zucchini ( 1 large or 2 small)
1/3     cup bread crumbs
1/3     cup chopped onion
1     teaspoon salt
 1/2     teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4     teaspoon pepper
1  1/2     lb. ground beef

                 Topping:

1     tablespoon packed brown sugar
2     tablespoons ketchup
1/2     teaspoon yellow mustard
 
               Directions:

               Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In large bowl, mix all meat loaf ingredients until well blended.  Press mixture into ungreased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish glass pie plate.  Bake 35 minutes.

               Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients.

               Remove meat loaf from oven; pour off drippings.  Spread topping over loaf.  Return to oven; back 10 - 15 minutes longer or until thoroughly cooked in center.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

*****I use ground turkey instead of ground beef.  Because I am just cooking for 2, I decided to divide the mixture up and make two mini loaves.  I cooked one and am freezing the other one to cook on another day.  I cooked the loaf 40 minutes since it is thicker than it would be if I had used the deep dish pie plate.  I also cooked it the full 15 minutes after putting the topping on it.  I had about a half inch wide piece left for lunch tomorrow.  So the mini loaf is just perfect for 2.



This is the one we ate.











TIP ALERT!
This is the one I am freezing.  I put plastic wrap in the loaf pan first.  This way when the meat loaf is frozen, I can take it out of the pan and put it in a freezer bag until I am ready to cook it.  I will take it out of the freezer the night before, remove the plastic wrap, return it to the pan I shaped it in, and let it thaw in the refrigerator.  Spray the pan first with cooking oil before placing the frozen loaf in it. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We love sweet potatoes and I am always looking for more ways to cook with them.  I found my recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits in a magazine several years ago.  I decided I would make some to go with the meat loaf.  Here is the recipe for them.

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

2  1/2     C. flour
1/4     C. brown sugar
1     Tbsp. baking powder
1/2     tsp. salt
1/4     tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2     C. butter, softened
1     C. mashed sweet potato
3  1/2     Tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Cut in softened butter (I use my hand) and then add sweet potato and milk.  Mix completely.  


 On a floured surface, knead the dough several times til smooth.  I pat the dough down using my hand to about 1/2 inch thick.








 

Cut desired size.  (I use a glass that is the same size as the pan I use to cook the biscuits on).  Re work the scraps by kneading a few times til smooth and pat down and cut.  Keep repeating til all dough is used.







 
I use about a tablespoon of oil in a plate and pat each biscuit on both sides in the oil before I put in the pan.  This helps the biscuit brown on both the top and bottom while it is baking.

Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

*****I use 1  1/4 cups of bread flour and 1  1/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour for the 2  1/2 cups flour the recipe calls for.  


TIP ALERT!
I love this pan for my biscuits because I like a nice edge on my biscuits.  I got this one at Cracker Barrel...













TIP ALERT!
Another thing I can't recommend enough, is my glass cutting board.  I think that is how they are advertised.  You can buy them with various picture designs.  It has a rough glass surface.  I have never used mine for a cutting board, but it is perfect for rolling out dough.  The rough surface keeps the dough from sticking to the surface.  You do need to spread a little flour out on it.  If you don't have one, you should get one.  If you never use it, it will look good in your kitchen on your counter, so choose a picture that fits with your decor.



I hope you will try these recipes and let me know how they turned out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment