Thursday, November 21, 2013

CRANBERRY-NUT LOAF

After getting the lab results and having the doctor's suspicions confirmed (What has caused my intestinal issues for three weeks was the antibiotic that I was given for an infected cyst on my face back on October 11.), I decided to celebrate in the kitchen.  (I do have to take a powerful antibiotic for 10 days, 4 times a day, but hopefully that will do the trick.  Spoiling a week's stay at the Wyndham Smoky Mountains Resort in Sevierville, TN because of it, I am more than ready to feel 100% again.  Good news....I lost the weight I have been wanting to lose....just not the way I wanted to lose it.)

But enough of that.

This recipe for Cranberry-Nut Loaf is one I wanted to make before we left for TN, but I didn't have the whole berry cranberry sauce and then when I got it, I just didn't feel like cooking.  I had torn it out of the Dash magazine that comes in our Sunday newspaper a year ago.  I have several cranberry bread recipes, but this is the first one I have seen that used the canned whole berry cranberry sauce.  Another plus for it is you don't have to use your electric mixer.  A whisk will do just fine.






CRANBERRY-NUT LOAF


3        cups flour
1        tablespoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1        teaspoon salt
2        eggs
1        cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend)
1        can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2     cup milk (skim )
1/2     cup canola oil (or use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce)
1/2     cup coarsely chopped pecans 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 2 (8 x 4-inch loaf pans) or 3 (6-1/2 x 4-inch mini loaf pans) with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  (I sifted them together.)


In a medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, cranberry sauce, milk, and oil until smooth (with a whisk).






Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined.

Stir in the pecans.





Transfer batter evenly to pans.








Bake for 45 minutes (35 minutes for mini loaves) or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool loaves in pans for 5 minutes on wire racks.


Turn out on rack to finish cooling.







Sliced....





No comments:

Post a Comment